Losing Weight Make You More Attractive, Is That True?
Researchers at the University of Toronto have determined the amount of weight people need to gain or lose before others notice or find them more attractive, losing weight make you more attractive – based on the way their faces look.
Poor cardiovascular function, frequent respiratory infections, and mortality,” said the study leader Dr Nicholas Rule. Yes, keep off the pounds and you’ll attract women and live longer. It’s a win-win.
One could argue that isn’t so much about losing weight, but about shape. That is to say, a person who is on the thicker side can be very attractive if they have curves or carry their weight well. A person who is on the thinner side who is well defined is going to look much more attractive than a person who is skinny fat or has very little in the way of musculature with bones showing.
I suppose it has to do with health. A fit physique also offers many other benefits besides looks. It can improve posture and body language. It can greatly enhance one’s energy and mood. It can be a sign of longevity into old age. For men, physical strength tends to be admired. For women, flexibility and a nice figure are sexy, and wide hips and an ample bosom are considered signs of fertility.
A man or woman who is more shapely and carries around some extra fat in the right places can be highly attractive.
Take these women for example:
By medical standards, these women would be considered fat or even obese. However, there are a high number of men who are attracted to curvy “plus-sized” women. Then there are some women who don’t carry their fat all that well…
That isn’t to say that the woman above is unattractive. However, she lacks curves, more than likely due to not having a solid muscular foundation.
The same goes for men. Some women prefer the linebacker look…
Some would call that husky, stocky, or heavyset. Due to having a fair bit of muscle mass, he carries his weight well. Unlike…
Men tend to carry most of their excess fat in their bellies and chest, and so there is a lot of drooping, the fat tire/muffin top look, and a puffy neck. Clothing that is tight fitting tends to show off every roll and is unflattering, while baggy clothing just makes a man appear slovenly. Facial hair can look sparse due to a puffier face. Sorry guys, but being too overweight is a sign to many women that you don’t know how to take care of yourself. That is mostly compounded by the fact that many fat and obese men refuse to practice basic hygiene, staying well groomed, and dressing to impress. Obesity is also tied to a sedentary lifestyle. Women tend to prefer men of action, ones who can deliver promising dates, who have the energy to be active even if it is simply going on trips or participating in activities other than video games and Netflix.
For women, the fat tends to go straight to their thighs, butt, and under the arms, but with very little muscle, it lacks the shapeliness or voluptuousness and ends up looking plump and unsightly. Too much fat and it ends up giving a lumpy appearance. Sorry ladies, but curves are like plumage to men. Often men can’t even explain why they are attracted to the way a good figured woman looks, they just do. Not all men, sure, but you can’t change biology. Even in generations past, when “plus-sized” women were what was considered the societal ideal, those attractive women were well-proportioned.
So again, it is more about a person’s figure than how much they weigh on a scale.
The truth is, almost anyone who is overweight or obese can easily improve their look by simply lifting some weights and doing some light cardio. You don’t have to have six-pack abs or look like a Maxim model to be attractive. However, building some structure to fill yourself out while shedding some pounds can make the difference between being attractive and appearing sloppy.
Here are some quick tips:
- Drink more fluids. The more water and other liquids you drink, the more sated you will feel. Staying hydrated helps with skin elasticity which makes it easier to firm up. Make it a point to drink a big glass of water as soon as you get up in the morning and a few big gulps of water before bedtime. Keep a 32 oz. water bottle with you at work. Try to drink another 32 oz. of fluids when you come home. Associate drinking water when you do certain activities and make it a part of your routine.
- Eat lots of fiber. Fiber keeps you full and regular. My go-tos include black beans, celery, oatmeal, broccoli, berries, and natural almonds.
- Eat more protein. Protein is more filling than carbs and it is the building blocks you need to gain some muscle.
- Walk. You don’t have to run a treadmill to shed some fat. Each mile walked is enough to burn about 100 calories. Try to fit in walking on your lunch breaks. Explore the city. Go to festivals. Find excuses to get moving.
- Lift heavy. Don’t do the standard 3 sets of 10 reps. The more reps you do, the puffier your muscles get. You want dense muscle. Try a 5×5 routine of compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. The more muscle mass you develop/maintain, the more fat you will burn passively. Or you can…
- Lift smart. Try doing a simple 10-minute kettlebell routine that focuses on whole body movements. Not only will this tone you up, but it also improves functional movement. It is all about consistency. Gradually increase the length of the workout and you will see your stamina and energy levels rise. Any kind of workout will boost your metabolism.
- Dress well. Just because you are overweight doesn’t mean you can’t dress in clothing that is flattering to your body type. I notice that many overweight folks tend to wear T-shirts and baggy clothing that either shows off their out-of-shape body or makes them look even bigger than they already are. Try wearing clothing made of good quality materials as they tend to lay better on the body. Thicker clothing will streamline your look. Thick cotton, raw silk, linen, tweed, and wool. For men, dressing sharp can make all the difference no matter your size. For women, Maxi dresses and layering up tends to work well for bigger body types.