Research how does a food pyramid help individuals eat a healthy diet?
The food pyramid was developed to help people eat healthier. Maybe you should eat more vegetables and less salty or sugary snacks. But just how does a food pyramid help individuals eat a healthy diet? All will be explained shortly.
Before finding out the reason how does a food pyramid help individuals eat a healthy diet, we need to know the concept of the food pyramid
What are Food Pyramids?
The Food Pyramid is designed to make healthy eating easier. Healthy eating is about getting the correct amount of nutrients – protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals you need to maintain good health.
The Food Pyramid is designed to make healthy eating easier
Foods that contain the same type of nutrients are grouped together on each of the shelves of the Food Pyramid. This gives you a choice of different foods from which to choose a healthy diet. Following the Food Pyramid as a guide will help you get the right balance of nutritious foods within your calorie range. Studies show that we take in too many calories from foods and drinks high in fat, sugar and salt, on the top shelf of the Food Pyramid. They provide very little of the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs. Limiting these is essential for healthy eating.
So in a nutshell, healthy eating involves :
- Plenty of vegetables, salad and fruit
- A serving of wholemeal cereals and breads, potatoes, pasta and rice at every meal – go for wholegrain varieties wherever possible
- Some milk, yoghurt and cheese
- Some meat, poultry, fish, eggs, beans and nuts
- A very small amount of fats, spreads and oils
- And a very small amount or no foods and drinks high in fat, sugar and salt
How Do Food Pyramids Help Us Eat Better?
Food guides can be confusing. But the points below will help you understand them and show you how to use them to improve your diet.
- The Food Groups – The food groups outlined in the Canada Food Guide are vegetables and fruit; grain products; milk and alternatives; and meat and alternatives.
- Guidance on the Foods in Each Group – While it may be easy to understand which foods are in the vegetables and fruit group, others aren’t so straightforward. One example is the milk and meat alternatives you can choose.
- Numbers of Servings Per Day – A food guide will recommend the number of servings you should consume each day of each food group. The Canada Food Guide breaks down its recommendations for males and females in different age groups.
- The Size of a Serving – To be clearer on how much of each food you should eat, food guides tell you exactly what constitutes a ‘serving’ of the foods in a group.
- Helpful Advice – A food pyramid helps individuals plan for healthier eating in other ways too. For example, in the vegetables and fruits group, it advises to “eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable” each day. It also encourages you to consult nutrition labels for guidelines on vitamins, minerals and calories in the foods you eat.
Read more :
>> which macronutrient is vital for every function of the body
>> what is the primary storage form of Carbohydrate in the body________________________________________________________________________________________
Đầu tư là gì? Kiến Thức Đầu Tư Chứng Khoán Quan Trọng Nhất Trong Quá Trình Đầu Tư?
Mở tài khoản chứng khoán TechcomBank nhanh chóng, thuận tiện giao dịch, bảo mật tuyệt đối.
Đầu Tư Chứng Khoán Xu Hướng Đầu Tư 2021 Hướng dẫn kiếm tiền từ đầu tư chứng khoán
Khóa Học Đầu Tư Chứng Khoán - Khóa học chứng khoán online (miễn phí) cho người mới bắt